G'Quan class heavy cruisers were the backbone of the Narn Regime's naval forces up until their defeat by the Centauri Republic in 2259. Ma'Kan Industries located at Wings of G'Lan facility over Narn is responsible for manufacturing this class of vessel.
In an attempt to destroy the main Centauri supply base, Warleader G'Sten led an armada made up of the bulk of the Narn fleet in an all-out frontal assault on a planet called Gorash VII. Unfortunately, the planet was guarded by a small fleet of Shadow vessels which intercepted the Narn armada, completely annihilated it, and took only slight damage to one of its vessels.
Despite this, about ten Narn warships, mainly cruisers, did manage to survive the war though most were crippled and left to drift during the Centauri's rush to advance on the Narn Homeworld; they were later salvaged by the Narn Resistance, often requiring one ship to be cannibalised to repair another. Only the G'Tok was left fully functional thanks to the intervention of Babylon 5 forces, and it would later play a key role in the war against the Shadows.
- Unnamed vessel destroyed in 2259 in the Epsilon System after destroying a Primus class battlecruiser in a surprise attack over Babylon 5.
- Unnamed vessel that went to Z'ha'dum and was destroyed by the Shadows.
- Unnamed vessel that was destroyed at the First Battle of Quadrant 14.
- Unnamed vessel that was destroyed by Centauri forces during the Narn-Centauri War, covering a civilian transport's escape.
- Vessels destroyed at the Battle of Gorash VII
- Unnamed vessel destroyed over Babylon 5 after destroying a Primus class battlecruiser during a failed blockade of Babylon 5.
- Unnamed vessel captured and its crew killed in Kulan's Homeworld prior to 2267.
- Unnamed vessel that attended the decommissioning of Babylon 5 in 2281.
|The following is based on The Mongoose Publishing RPG books and contradicts canon sources.|
|The following is based on The Agents of Gaming Strategic Game and contradicts canon sources.|
The specifications of the G'Quan-class heavy cruiser varies widely in non-canon sources (roleplaying games and miniature tabletop games):
Traveller RPG: Babylon 5: Warships of Babylon 5
- Mass: 140,000 tons
- Armor: Crystaliron
- Crew: 863 + 320 troops
- Weapons: 4 heavy laser cannons, 6 missile banks (1,440 energy mines), 24 turreted double light pulse cannons, 80 turreted light ion cannons, 12 turreted double particle guns
- Auxiliary Craft: 4 cutters, 4 shuttles, 12 Frazi heavy fighters
- Crew: 200 or 653
- Length: 450 meters
- Weapons: 2 heavy laser cannons, 4 light pulse cannons, 4 twin particle arrays, 2 energy mine launchers
- Auxiliary Craft: 12 fighters, 2 shuttles
Babylon 5 the Roleplaying Game's Ships of the Galaxy
- Crew: 111
- Weapons: 1 twin-linked heavy laser cannon, 1 energy mine launcher, 3 particle arrays
- Auxiliary Craft: 6 Frazi heavy fighters
Babylon 5 the Roleplaying Game's The Narn Regime Fact Book
- Crew: 21
- Weapons: 1 twin-linked heavy laser cannon, 1 energy mine launcher, 1 twin-linked particle arrays, 2 twin-linked light pulse cannon
- Auxiliary Craft: 2 shuttles, 12 Frazi heavy fighters
Babylon 5: A Call to Arms (Game)'s Fleet Lists
- Crew: 70
- Weapons: 1 heavy laser cannon, 1 energy mine launcher, 4 light ion cannons, 4 light pulse cannons
- Auxiliary Craft: 12 Frazi heavy fighters
In The Official Guide to Babylon 5 released by Sierra Entertainment, the ship's name was misspelled G'Quon.
Behind the Scenes
- "I wanted it to look simple from afar, almost as if you were looking at a fighter, but as you got closer you got the feeling that the ship was immense."
- – Paul Bryant interview for B5Scrolls
The G'Quan class was designed by Computer Imaging Supervisor and Foundation Imaging Co-founder Paul Bryant. The design was intended to echo the shape of the Narn fighter that had already been developed by Ron Thornton while the striped hull markings were meant to reflect tribal art and war paint. The G'Quan first appeared in the episode "Revelations" as a replacement for the more rushed design of Narn cruiser used in the first season and would continue to be used as the primary Narn ship all the way through the rest of B5, into Crusade and a rebuilt version even appeared in the "The Lost Tales" DVD movie.
- Babylon 5 the Roleplaying Game: The Narn Regime Fact Book
- Babylon 5 the Roleplaying Game: Ships of the Galaxy
- Babylon 5: A Call to Arms (Game): Fleet Lists
- Babylon 5 Wars: War of Retribution: Atlas of the Narn/Centauri War
- Babylon 5 Wars: Ships of the Fleet
- Traveller RPG: Babylon 5: Warships of Babylon 5
- Other Sources
|Narn Regime Ship Classes|
|Capital Ships & Fighters|
|G'Quan-class Heavy Cruiser · Heavy Cruiser · Cruiser · Frazi-class Heavy Fighter|
|Freighter · "Quadrant-37"-type Orbital base · "Quadrant-14"-type Orbital base · Orbital Defense Platform|