Though it would later be surpassed by the Omega and Warlock class destroyers, during the period between the Dilgar and Earth-Minbari Wars it was considered Earth's top of the line, often supported by the heavily armed Nova class dreadnought. Hyperion heavy cruisers made up a great number of the fleet that was assembled for the Battle of the Line and though a great many were destroyed, the ones that survived continued to serve alongside their successors as the workhorse of the Earthforce fleet. Even though the design was far past its prime it continued to be in service as late as 2281. 
Like most Earth Alliance ships of the period, the Hyperion lacked the capability to generate artificial gravity, either through the use of rotating sections or the later, more advanced gravitic drive systems. Though rotating section were within Earthforces technical capabilities at the time, they greatly reduced a ship's speed and effectiveness.  As such the crew had to operate in a completely zero gravity environment, requiring the use of seat straps and hand holds to work effectively. 
Behind the Scenes
- The Hyperion was designed by animator Mark Kochinski, based on a napkin sketch by Ron Thornton.
- The Hyperion's name was a nod to Hyperion.com, the original home of the Lurker's Guide.
- JMS would later go on to write Supreme Power for Marvel Comics, which centered on a a Superman-like character named Hyperion.
- ↑ Babylon 5: Into the Fire (Game) - NOTE:The Official Guide to Babylon 5 (CD ROM) states they're "9000A", same as the Omega and the Explorer Classes, this appears to simply be an error.
- ↑ Sleeping in Light
- ↑ JMS post rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated - 02/03/1995
- ↑ Rising Star
- ↑ In the Beginning
- ↑ B5Scrolls
|Earthforce Ship Classes|
|Olympus-class corvette Hyperion-class heavy cruiser Nova-class dreadnought Omega-class destroyer Advanced Omega-class destroyer Warlock-class destroyer|
|SA-23E Starfury SA-32A Thunderbolt Stealth Starfury Heavy Starfury Badger-class Starfury|
|Earthforce One Magnum heavy lifter Breaching pod Troop Transport Kestrel Class Atmospheric Shuttle Crew Shuttle|
|Aegis orbital defense platform Life pod Work pod Gunship Explorer class ship Cotten class Deep Penetration Tender Shadow Hybrid Shadow hybrid fighter|
|Hyperion Class Heavy Cruisers|
|EAS Amundsen EAS Aegean EAS Clarkstown EAS Hyperion EAS Lexington EAS Prometheus EAS Trafalgar|