"Greatness is never appreciated in youth, called pride in midlife, dismissed in old age and reconsidered in death. Because we cannot tolerate greatness in our midst, we do all we can to destroy it."
- – Lady Morella
Lady Morella was the third wife of Emperor Turhan, who passed away in 2259 at the onset of the Narn-Centauri War. After his death (as was custom), she began to refer to herself in plural to denote the idea she was speaking for herself and her late husband.
Morella was a powerful seer, a fact not widely known to the Centauri public. She consented to a request from Londo Mollari to visit him on Babylon 5 in 2260. Mollari explained that he wanted her to "see" for him so that he could know if he could yet escape the destiny he had always foreseen in his dreams. She promised to give him a reading after a tour of the station. However, her arrival coincided with EA President William Clark's declaration of martial law. A riot broke out in the Zócalo following the bombing of Mars. Mollari's aide, Vir Cotto, was injured while helping Morella get to safety. With the medlabs overfilled, Morella decided to treat Vir in her own quarters, assisted by Londo. At this time, she touched Londo directly and had a vision.
After several hours, Morella explained what she saw somewhat cryptically, saying Londo still had a chance to change his destiny – but one thing that could not be changed was that he would become emperor. She also told Vir that he was also destined to become emperor: one will be emperor after the other is dead.
- "You still have three opportunities to avoid the fire at the end of your journey. You have already wasted two others. You must save the (eye) that does not see; you must not kill the one who is already dead; and at the last, you must surrender to yourself to your greatest fear, knowing that it will destroy you. Now if you have failed all the others, that is your final chance at redemption."
- – To Londo
- She is called the emperor's "third wife"; this probably indicates Turhan had two others concurrently. As such, it is unknown if she was the biological mother of Turhan's son who died about a year before he did.
- There is much speculation as to the five opportunities in the Prophecy:
- 1] Londo's choice to be involvement with the Shadows instead of rejecting their "help" which in resulted in the desctruction of the Narn Homeworld and led to Londo's own death.
- 2] Londo's choice of lying about the last words/wish of Emperor Turhan that instead of the Centari Republic conquering planets... Turhan remarked Londo and Lord Refa would be dammed for waging War instead of Peace between the Centauri and the Narns
- 3] Londo not saving the eye of G'Kar which was destroyed by order of Emperor Cartagia
- 4] Possibly that refers to John Sheridan who was killed [dead] but reanimated with a short lifespan of 20 years-who saved the Universive from the Vorlon/Shadow War
- 5] Londo fear of Dying-only living to serve the Centari Republic; to surrender to fate to die a mutal death at the hands of G'Kar.
- She was played by Majel Barrett, widow of the late Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek. As there was some rivalry between Babylon 5 and the thematically similar Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, which were both airing at the same time, Majel Barrett agreed to do a guest appearance in Babylon 5 to encourage a reconciliation between the fandoms.