Narn (also known as the Narn Homeworld or Narn Prime) was the homeworld of the Narn race and the centre of the Narn Regime, located in Sector 160. Its day is 31 standard hours long and takes 446 days (Earth Standard Time) to orbit its star.
Though by the Third Age, two Centauri occupations and an orbital bombardment left Narn a dry, desolate planet it was once much more hospitable. Orbiting a red giant star, Narn was a world similar in many ways to Earth, with an equivalent gravity and atmosphere it was host to large area of lush forest with several major deserts and a large ocean in the equatorial regions. The region known as the southern frontier, a remote, underdeveloped region was particularly exploited before and after the Centauri Occupations and in 2258 was hit by severe famine, made all the worse because of the planet's already depleted resources.
- G'Kamazad: Capital city of Narn up until the Second Centauri Occupation of Narn and the hometown of G'Kar and his family.
- Moxtoke: The New Capital city of Narn following the Second Centauri Occupation. In 2269 there was still extensive construction work under way by contractors from Zhabar, Pak'ma, Earth, Brakir as well as local labour.
- G'Quan Mountain: One of the holiest places for the followers of G'Quan, for whom the mountain is obviously named, a ritual involving the G'Quan Eth plants needed to be performed by the faithful during an exact moment of the Days of G'Quan, when the first rays of sunlight appeared over the mountain.
- Drakshoth: Birth city of Na'Toth.
- Talree: A narrow peninsula on the continent of Var. According to the Book of G'Quan this was the place where G'Quan Soup originated.
- Var: One of Narn's continents and the location of the Talree peninsula.
During the First Shadow War, the Shadows came to Narn and set up a base on one of the southern continents, taking little interest in the native Narns. After Narn pilots in their small explorer ships followed the Shadow vessels going backwards and forwards, they discover the Shadows engaged in a war that threatened to overwhelm the very stars themselves. Locating their homeworld in a system at the edge of known space, the pilots return and report their discoveries. G’Quan and others lead acts of sabotage agains the Shadow base, and the Shadows attention is drawn to the native population. Discovering telepaths among the population, the Shadows took steps to wipe them out, sending their dark servants to kill them, lest they become a threat. However the last of the mindwalkers, lead by G'Quan and with the support of G'Lan and a number of other such beings drove the Shadows out, forcing them to abandon their base.
In 2109 the Centauri Republic invaded the Narn Homeworld. Initially welcomed by the Narns with open arms, the Centauri quickly took advantage of the technological superiority to enslave the population and began strip mining the planet's resources, devastating the planet's ecology and slowly turned the once green and verdant world into a dry, red, dust ravaged planet.
Though the Centauri were eventually driven off after a century of attrition and resistance in 2231, the new Narn Regime, eager to establish itself continued the exploitation the Centauri began, with outbreaks of regional famine still a persistent problem. Despite this, by 2258 restoration projects successful in restoring a few areas of forest land.
At the end of the Narn-Centauri War of 2259, the Centauri mounted a devastating frontal assault on Narn, using mass drivers to pluck asteroids out of near orbit and hurling them at the planet surface. The bombardment lasted four days before the Regime officially surrendered, though the result on the ground was that of utter devastation. Whole cities were destroyed, five million killed in just the first few minutes of the attack, the planetary infrastructure was ruined cutting off power, water, food shipments, medical treatment across the globe. The impacts themselves kicked up so much dust and material into the upper atmosphere that the overall climate dropped drastically with the wind blowing almost constantly for years afterwards as all the particulate matter to drift back down out of the atmosphere.
The effects were also felt thought the already depleted biosphere as the few remaining large animal species such as the Val were left critically endangered with only only the avian species seeming to flourish in the changed environment.
Though in 2261 the Centauri again withdrew, the damage was done. However after the Narn Regime joined the Interstellar Alliance, Minbari technology in the form of huge atmosphere purifiers were presented to the Narn by Entil'Zha Delenn, which by 2269 had helped to clear most of the particulate matter from the atmosphere. Still enough of the dust particles remained in the sky overhead as to produce a beautiful sunset, which served as a constant reminder of the past atrocities.
During the First Centauri Occupation of Narn, many native plants and animals were either exterminated, supplanted with Centauri crops and livestock or even taken away to be grown/raised on off-world colonies. As a result, Narn's ecosystem became a mix of both indigenous and alien lifeforms.
- Narn: Sentient bipedal humanoids (dominant lifeforms.)
- Alba: An edible plant that produces an aromatic frond similar to Earth bay leaf.
- Breen: A domesticated animal whose meat tastes identical to Earth beef and is the primary ingredient in a dish of the same name.
- Dar: Herd animals, also found in the G'Quan mountain range.
- G'Quan Eth: A small plant of great religious significance and the very symbol of faith for the followers of G'Quan.
- Gollif An edible fleshy fungus-like organism, with similar culinary properties to an Earth open cup mushroom.
- On'Vik: Vicious predator, often found in the G'Quan mountain range.
- Polbi: An edible plant that produces seeds similar to those of the Earth mustard plant.
- Ruti pod: Originally from Centauri Prime, ruti pods are from a vegetable-like plant similar to an Earth potato. Centauri grown ruti pods are noted for their distinctive crimson colouring. 
- Spoo: A creature imported by the Centauri, it has nevertheless become very popular and is preferably served fresh on Narn.
- Strew-tree: A succulent plant that grow in aerated, gravel soil. Distinguishable by their long twisted branches tipped with glowing purple flowers, they are sometimes used as decorative climbing plants on the outer walls of P’lazzos.
- Swoz: An edible plant with a taste similar to Earth garlic.
- Turok: A plant that produces edible seeds similar to Earth groundnut.
- Wyqlat: An edible plant similar to Earth spinach.
- Zoolow: A blotchy-skinned and ill-tempered fish-like creature that is difficult to catch and traditionally served raw.
|The following is based on The Mongoose Publishing RPG books and contradicts canon sources.|
(the following is from the Babylon 5 the Roleplaying Game's sourcebooks: The Narn Regime Fact Book, the Galactic Guide, and the The Coming of Shadows)
Planetary Features and Statistics
- Planet's Name = Nar'Shal
- Diameter = 9,230 miles
- Circumference = 29,900 miles
- Gravity = 1.2 g
- Equatorial Mean Temperature = 68 degrees F
- Weather Average = mild 50%, light storms (winter) 20%, light storms (rain) 15%, severe storms (mixed) 10%
- Continents: Supercontinent
- Water Percentage = 76%
- Population = 2 billion (95% urban, 5% rural or isolated areas)
- Cities = Veroth the capital city (5 million), Tel'eth (4 million), Na'Taran, Vesh'Taran, Orth, Gortha City
- Moons = 1 (600 miles diameter)
- Orbital Bases = 3 military, 6 monitor, and 1 trade
The Narn homeworld was heavily defended with a fleet of warships, a defense starbase, and innumerable space mines and automated defenses. It possessed a ground force consisting of millions of troops who were prepared to fight to the death against an invasion of the homeworld. During the Centauri attack on the Narn homeworld, it's defenses had been greatly reduced due to the redeployment of the majority of the major warships. Resulting in its severely depleted defenses being overwhelmed by the larger Centauri force.
The space contingent assigned to the task of defending the homeworld:
Gold Fleet: It's the elite fleet, which is tasked with defending the homeworld, serving the Kha'Ri, and commanding other fleets. If a Gold Fleet commanding officer is in a room with other fleet officers of equal rank, he is the one in charge. The fleet consists of the Primary command vessel (G'Tal Command Cruiser), 1-4 assault groups, 1-3 defend groups, and 0-4 harass groups. Depending on the mix of battle groups assigned to the fleet, it's assets consist a mix of the following ships:
- 0-19 Bin'Tak-class Dreadnoughts
- 1-19 G'Quan-class Heavy Cruisers
- 0-12 T'Loth-class Assault Cruisers
- 1-9 G'Karith-class Patrol Cruisers
- 0-8 Ka'Toc-class Battle Destroyers
- 0-8 Rongoth-class Destroyers
- 0-8 Dag'Kar-class Missile Frigates
- 0-12 Thentus-class Frigates
- 1-10 Sho'Kar-class Light Scouts
- 0-16 Sho'Kos-class Police Cutters
- 1-6 Starbases
The greatly reduced Narn fleet defending the homeworld during the Centauri assault on Narn:
1 starbase, 1 Bin'Tak dreadnought, 2 missile frigates, 1 scout, 2 battle destroyers, 3 destroyers, 5 frigates, and the numerous space mines and orbital defense platforms.
- Babylon 5 the Roleplaying Game's sourcebook: The Narn Regime Fact Book
- Babylon 5 the Roleplaying Game's sourcebook: Galactic Guide
- Babylon 5 the Roleplaying Game's sourcebook: The Coming of Shadows
- Babylon 5 Wars' sourcebook: War of Retribution: Atlas of the Narn/Centauri War
- The Official Guide to Babylon 5 (CD ROM)
- The Official Babylon 5 Magazine: Volume 1, Issue #3 (Nov 1997) - Page 26 (A Brief History of Narn)
- Signs and Portents
- And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place
- True Seeker (Short Story)
- Babylon 5 Season 2 DVD: Disc 6 - The Universe of Babylon 5 (Na'Toth's personnel file)
- Dining on Babylon 5
- JMS post on CIS - 3/21/1996 7:53:00 AM
- JMS post on CIS - 3/22/1996 5:41:00 PM
- Matters of Honor
- Ship of Tears
- And Now For a Word - G'kar described the history of the occupation which began 150 years ago
- Signs and Portents
- Midnight on the Firing Line
- The Long, Twilight Struggle
- A Tragedy of Telepaths
- Coda for Human and Narn in B Flat
- True Seeker (Short Story)
- By Any Means Necessary
- The Parliament of Dreams
- And Now For a Word
- JMS post on AOL - 3/13/1996 10:55:00 AM
- Dust to Dust
- True Seeker (Short Story)